The Mungus or Mungi, is a passive fantasy mob that lives in Mushroom Fields. It was added in release 1.6.0.
Mungi are pretty strange creatures with a nose like a Villager, a big eye like a Guardian, and a thing on their back of what appears to be mushroom spores inside. Sometimes they can spawn with one or two mushrooms on them.
Mungi are completely harmless despite their strange appearance. If fed mushrooms then they will take root on the Mungus, and if they have five Mushrooms on their back then the Mungus will fire a beam at nearby mushrooms of the same type, this will either grow more mushrooms or transform them into giant mushrooms (but only if they are on Mycelium). This proccess will exhaust some of the mushrooms on its back. If slain with five mushrooms on their back they will convert the local area with the mushrooms on their backs as well as transforming the biome into the mushroom fields (Can be disabled in config). You can breed Mungi with Mushroom Stew.
- They were introduced along with the Alligator Snapping Turtle and Mantis Shrimp.
- The idea of the Mungus came from the crewmates (and imposters) from the game Among Us.
- Mungi are one of three fantasy mobs that spawn in the overworld, the other two being the Sunbird and Guster.
- The Mungus is the only mob in the mod that can spawn in Mushroom Fields.
- However due to a glitch Flies can actually spawn in Mushroom Fields as well and has not been fixed yet.
- If you name a Mungus "Drip" they will get a pair of sneakers.
- This is a refrence to the Among Drip meme.
- When the Mungus was first introduced a lot of people criticized this mob for looking out of place in the vanilla game.
- On the Discord server and curseforge comments people often said #deletemungus or delete Mungus as it looked out of place.
- These mobs can cause some lag when first spawning in newly generating chunks because they often fire beams at mushrooms as soon as they spawn.
- This was one of the few fantasy mobs that were introduced in non-themed updates, the others are the Warped Toad, Mimicube, Soul Vulture, Spectre and Void Worm
- Their name is a joke version of "amongus" but without an "a" and the "o" replaced with a "u".
- The Mungus and the Endergrade are the only two passive fantasy mobs that are breedable.
- Furthermore the Mungus is the only passive fantasy mob that is breedable but not tameable.
- According to the Animal Dictionary, Mungi are relatives of Guardians and Striders.
- Interestingly Despite having a nose like a Villager they are not related to the Villagers at all.
- It is the only mob in release 1.6.0 to have configuration options based around them.
- It is one of two mobs with one eye. The other being the Void Worm.
- The Mungus, Mimicube, Mantis Shrimp, Guster and Enderiophage are the only mobs with animated eyes.
- For some reason the baby variants can shoot lasers just like adults can.
- The baby variants of this mob actually resemble the mini crewmates.
- If this mob was in the base game then it would have the entire community going crazy over this mob due to its reference to Among Us.